Infrastructure System Architect ICT
- Interxion Headquarters
The Interxion ICT Systems Architect interfaces with multiple stakeholders in an organization in order to understand the various levels of requirements, the domain, the viable technologies, and anticipated development. The work includes determining multiple design alternatives, assessing such alternatives based on all identified constraints (such as cost, schedule, usability, reliability, maintainability, availability, and so on), and selecting and testing the most suitable options for further usage. The output of such work sets the core properties of ICT systems, and those that are hardest to change later.
The Infrastructure System Architect ICT reports directly to the Manager Infrastructure ICT
The Systems and Infrastructure Architect is:
- A solution provider, functioning as an expert in providing agile, cost-effective, IT Infrastructure solutions and coordinating service delivery;
- A specialist adviser, providing advice to management on establishing secure and reliable IT systems and best practices;
- A technical project leader, defining, planning and executing efficient infrastructure projects;
- A technical specialist, solving problems and troubleshooting network, server, storage and virtualization-related issues.
- Provides out of hours ICT support, on-call basis 1 in four weeks.
As a Systems Architect you perform ICT system engineering activities required to develop solutions and products that satisfy the requirements and needs of Interxion ICT. You work within the ICT teams in close cooperation with Management and are responsible for working out, stabilizing and maintaining the ICT architecture and the environment. The approach you apply, is based on agile and lean ICT engineering principles.
The main system activities you will perform are:
- Analysis of stakeholder and customer’s needs
- Create and maintain a technology roadmap
- Establish the architecture through trade-offs between stakeholders’ expectations, in compliance with standardization and reuse policies, technology roadmap and business strategy
- Evaluate and test the design, behavior, interactions, stability and performance
- Provide computing, communications and security infrastructure design solutions
- Conduct technical evaluations and proofs-of-concept to evaluate software and hardware products from external vendors and report on the same as a technical expert and advisor
- Confirm that the requirements with which the solution has been designed are fulfilled
- Demonstrate that the solution satisfies the operational needs
- Manages risks & opportunities of design including those flown down to subcontractors and partners
- Assist with the planning, creation and maintenance of ICT processes and procedures
- Responsible for the correct and up to date documentation of the Interxion ICT Infrastructure
- Takes the lead in designing, developing and implementing a new hybrid (cloud & on premise) infrastructure
- Design and plan for growth, accommodate for new technologies, and meet customer needs for the server infrastructure in terms of hardware, software and networking aspects, including installation, configuration, tuning and maintenance.
- Design, install, configure, trouble-shoot and maintain server based applications and services, including system monitoring, authentication and authorization infrastructure components, file services, DNS and DHCP.
- Ensure the agility, reliability, security and availability of the Department of Safeguards virtualization infrastructure, specifically in the areas of servers, storage, and network virtualization, with the aim of providing both flexible and cost-effective solutions.
- In-depth technical knowledge of Windows Server operating systems, especially directory services such as Active Directory, domain/forest design and implementation, authentication, authorization, and identity management and related security frameworks, clustering technologies and related best practices.
- In-depth technical knowledge of Office 365, Skype for business and Azure cloud.
- In-depth knowledge of unified storage systems and protocols, especially SAN/NAS, NFS, CIFS, iSCSI, FCP, NDMP, etc. and the optimal deployment of these systems and protocols, including caching, de-duplication, compression, thin provisioning, cloning, replication and backup technologies and related software and hardware monitoring solutions, as well as best practice deployment and operations for very high availability and recoverability and solid data protection.
- Thorough knowledge and deep understanding of server, storage, and network virtualization technologies and infrastructures, such as VMware, Dell EqualLogic and Compellent and Cisco Nexus, including related monitoring and management systems.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of secure computing infrastructure design and operation, authentication protocols, public key infrastructure systems and data encryption technologies.
- Practical knowledge of and experience with data center infrastructure requirements, specifications, standards, trends and best practices.
- Good general understanding of network technologies and concepts, including Ethernet and TCP/IP, layer-2/3 switching and routing, access, distribution, and core/backbone network layers. Minimal CCNA level.
- Proven skills in system integration as well as solid knowledge of major LAN-based services, including e-mail, file sharing, communication protocols, and authentication technologies.
- Good knowledge of and practical experience in disciplined approaches to project management such as PRINCE2.
- Excellent language and visual skills for producing well-structured technical documentation and operational procedures.
- Good knowledge of industry standard quality control and continuous improvement processes and best practices.
- Proven ability to function well as part of a team, building team spirit and recognizing the contribution of others.
- Strong communication skills, including effective presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain good relationships with internal and external counterparts and to work harmoniously in a multicultural/multidisciplinary environment with respect for and sensitivity toward diversity.
- The ICT System Architect has:
- A personality with a strong technical infrastructure background, responsible for day-to-day designing and implementing designs in the Infrastructure ICT team at Interxion Headquarters.
- Hands-on, you work in a small team so you need to be practical and forthright.
- Has demonstrable experience in how to design and help successfully complete infrastructure projects
- Excellent and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing; know how to communicate at different levels.
- Planning and organisational skills. Know how to plan, monitor resources and set priorities
- Strong eye for detail: need to have the knowledge of the technology and therefore eye for detail, but needs to manage(in most cases) the issues/request to the team
- Strong analytical skills; need to know how to come to the heart of the matter
- A professional attitude showing seniority, act autonomously, knows how to motivate a team, must be seen as professional by the Infrastructure team
- Open to change: keep up to date with new technology and likes to adopt new technology within a professional organization
- You are proactive, problem-solving, result-oriented, flexible and a true team player
- Must thrive in a dynamic environment being able to keep progress in multiple projects and operational tasks
- Bachelor level in Information Technology (by education and/or experience) and commensurate working experience in information technology, computer science or related field.
- Networking technology minimal CCNA level.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant working experience in information technology, computer science or related field, especially in an environment with significant IT security constraints.
- Significant work experience in all aspects of the architecture/design, implementation/deployment, and management/operations of data centers, networks, servers, storage, and virtualization environments.
- Experience in designing, deploying and operational management of virtual server infrastructure products and the Windows Server operating system and related applications.
- Practical experience in producing technical and functional specifications and formulating solutions meeting user requirements.
- Practical experience in system, installation, configuration, and integration of diverse systems, as well as in trouble shooting and problem resolution.
- Practical experience in leading IT infrastructure projects such as, unified storage deployment (SAN/NAS), virtualization technologies, network technology/topology changes, and server refresh.
- Practical experience with IT service quality standard processes and service delivery such as ITIL.
- Experienced with different architecture standards (f.e. Togaf) and design tooling.
- Fluency in English and Dutch language (written and orally) is essential.
- Excellent and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing; know how to communicate at different levels
- Regular out-of-town travel is required (within Europe), 10 % of the time.